We rely on our mail carriers to bring us our mail every day. No matter if it is rain or shine, snow or hail, our mail carriers work hard to deliver our mail to us on time .
Mail carrying been a major tool in communication throughout the centuries. Here are some Fun Facts: (Source: National Day Calendar )
- In 1775, the Second Continental Congress established the Constitutional Post–the first organized mail service in America.
- As the nation’s first Postmaster General, Benjamin Franklin established many of the conventions we are accustomed to today.
- Postage stamps were invented in 1847.
- On April 3, 1860, the famous Pony Express officially took off.
- In 1863, free city delivery started, and in 1896, free rural delivery began.
- In 1963, the Zip Code began.
With how long these men and women have been delivering our mail, it is important to show your mail carrier how much you appreciate them. If you’re home and you know when your mail carrier arrives, go out and greet them with a ‘thank you’ and let them know that you appreciate all that they do. Or write a thank you note and put it near the mailbox. If you feel inclined, you can give them a gift to show your appreciation, such as a hot beverage or snack for the road.
Use #ThankAMailCarrierDay to post on social media to help “carry” the message 😉
No matter what feels right to you, make sure you let your mail carrier know how much they are appreciated today!